Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

INTERVIEW: Lee Kamenawatamin

Its almost three o'clock in the morning and I'm talking to Lee Kamenawatamin over the internet, so I'm expecting him to be a tad grouchy. But not a bit of it. 

"Thanks for taking an interest in me and my designs!" He bellows in his email, and I realize that maybe Lee doesn't do the "you're privileged to be in my acquaintance" thing that I get from some up-and-comers. Fewf. That takes the edge off. 

Lee is one of Winnipeg's buzzing up-and-coming designers, it seems everyone is clamoring to work with him. But after getting over the shock of Lee's relaxed persona, I started learning that he'd come to making his beautiful gowns a bit by kismet. "I'd thought I wanted to be a hairstylist, until an italian lady sat a sewing machine in front of me. Before I knew it, I'd sewn two party dresses." Lee attributes his debut to this mysterious Italian woman, whom he refers to as "Miss L"." She taught me a lot about craftsmanship, and how certain garments finish a certain way." Later on Lee gushes about why he started and why he's stayed. "There is something special about being able to create a gown or dress, from scraps or yards of fabrics. I want women to feel chic and fashion forward. I've always loved designing, and this is something I will be doing for the rest of my life."

 After earning some city-wide fame and working with some of the best photographers winnipeg has to offer, Lee decided to introduce himself properly to the neighborhood. He held his first self-produced show, entitled "A Fashionable Affair." Seems, it was a hit. He's landed him self a segment in the increasingly popular SANDBOX magazine. 

  So now, what is he working on? "I just finished my spring summer 2011 collection and sold it all." Oh. Ha. Okay. 

 So what was your inspiration for the line? "Well, I base it off my own personal style. I love long dresses, gowns, little minis. Of course I can't pull everything in my collection off, but everything I make I would like to wear. I like my dresses to fit several types of bodies. men, women, you name it. I'm trying to make the winnipeg fashion scene much different than it is now, to shake things up! Several trademark things I do make are paisley print dresses, draped cowl necklines, and circle skirts. And of course, the parachute dresses, which have become quite synonymous with my name. Im not trying to reinvent the wheel here! I just want to make women feel good."

  Well, thats honorable. So, after the lot of us rush down to purchase one of these frocks for fall, Lee is also suggesting (quite generously) that we also invest in a pair of ankle booties, and a cropped jacket. And besides the obvious (his own line) he was kind enough to tell us a few of his own "Brand's to Watch". "Huney this could go on forever!" he laughs. But he has surprised me with his picks, which  include the likes of John Galliano and Galliano for Dior, Balenciaga, Cavalli, Vena Cava and of course Mr. Lee Alexander McQueen. 

  Lee has also prescribed a dose of Winnipeg designers that he loves. Scribing that "Mr. Lennard Taylor knows his shit, and Alex Espinosa has great designs." hmm... google. 

  So what was the worst piece you ever made? "This blue lamé party dress, it was atrocious. But you learn better things from your mistakes." Well that makes sense, and I'm sure somewhere, someone would have loved it. 

  Lee admits that his clothes are made for the "tall and waify", but says that he's always been "enamored" by how many women look amazing in his clothes. But these days I've been increasingly aware of what's happening in the world, and how it affects fashion. So, now I've got a difficult question for Lee, and I hold my breath while I wait for the answer. Are you doing anything else with your work? Such as trying to make the clothes in an environmentally respectful way, or using full figured models? 

~inhale~ " I love dressing a thicker girl if I know her measurements, that way I can make her feel everything she is worth...and remind her that she's BEAUTIFUL." ~exhale~


We still love you Lee.







  




No comments:

Post a Comment