Follow me on Twitter

Saturday, October 2, 2010

INTERVIEW: Kelly Pokorny


  Modeling is one of the most coveted and envied jobs in the world. It is also incidentally, one of the hardest jobs to acquire and succeed at. Thats why, when you meet a model that has dedicated herself to seeing it to end, there is much to admire. 

  Kelly Pokorny has made it in Winnipeg. She has signed with Swish Model Management (Winnipeg's Premier Agency), she has worked with the best local clients and has had the rare chance to see herself between the pages of Lou Lou and Fashion Magazine. Winnipeg being a small city, there isn't a whole lot of work to be had, so when someone gets hand picked by the best, you know they are set out to be a star. 

  Kelly grew up a dancer, both parents supporting every choice she'd made. But, unlike most of the models I speak to, Kelly wanted to model. She sought it out, she strove to be the best and found her place in exactly what she knew that she was born to do. Though Kelly clocks in at a mere 5'9" (small in for the model world) and has a bod that stops traffic, it's the one-two punch of her significant physical assets and her wham-bam personality that has not only catapulted her to the top of the Winnipeg Market but also kept her firmly at its apex for the last few years. 

  Lately though, I've been concerned about certain aspects of modeling. I've been considering the type of person that you need to be in order to succeed at modeling and so on. I asked Kelly her opinion on my thoughts. Do you suggest modeling to other girls? "I think when it comes to suggesting modeling, it all depends on the girl. I would not suggest modeling to someone who already seems to have a very negative body image of themselves. We all have things that we dislike about our bodies, but for someone who is already obsessed over it, I would not suggest modeling. But, if the girl was confident and strong and very open minded, then I would certainly suggest modeling because it can be an amazing experience."

 On that point I agree. If a girl doesn't have a peak personal body image to get through the endless rejection. Most time a model will attend 5-10 castings and only get 1 of the jobs. But there is a lot of buzz in the industry about models being poorly treated. What do you think needs to change? " Models on a larger scale are treated poorly on occasion. What needs to be changed is the level of respect. People need to remember that we aren't plastic manicans. Yes, we are hired to show off clothing or hair styles. But, at the same time people need to remember that we were HIRED, we know how to do our job. If you are respectful towards us and if you are kind and don't utter harsh unnecessary words you will get that perfect shot in a minimal amount of time."

  Alright Kelly, I'll leave you alone now, But I want what I came to you for. What outfit wouldn't you be caught dead in? " Actually I wouldn't be caught dead in solid black leggings with torn up jean shorts on top. I find that the look is very bulky, and makes the hips look a lot wider then they actually are; I'm interested in flattering my body." Yes! Thank you! Although as I wrote this article I looked down sheepishly at my torn jean shorts. But thats why its called person style. If every trend looked great on every body, what would make it interesting? 

  But now that I know that Kelly and I differ in a few key areas, I want to know more. Who are your favorite models? " My current favorite model is actually a tie between Coco Rocha and Doutzen Kroes. Both girls are stunning, but more importantly, both girls don't fall prey to the un-natural expectations that the fashion industry can sometimes impose on models. They both fight for larger sample sizes, and for healthy models walking the runways." Rad! Kelly and I currently have the same measurements, so I always love hearing that other girls are in tune with my feelings about fuller figures. But now that we're on the subject, how do you feel about diet and exercise? Do you have any tips or secrets? "My diet secrets aren't really secrets actually. I eat very healthy, lots of fruits and vegetables, only a little bread and pasta (because those bloat you), and I try to avoid meat as much as possible. Before a shoot, I only eat fruits and vegetables because those are filling but you don't look full, and I avoid salt, because salt makes you retain water." 

  Just let me grab some celery sticks.... 

  So now that you've maintained some serious jobs in Winnipeg, what would you say your plans are to stay on top? " I'm going to continue to exercise and keep my measurements where they need to be, and I'm going to continue to shoot. The more I shoot, the better my pictures will get, and as we all know, a model is only as good as her worst shot." 

...Alright Kelly, let us know when you do get around to taking that "Worst Shot." 



No comments:

Post a Comment